- Honesty - No one likes confrontation. I think we all would like to think we will always agree with our closest friends, but come on, we know that just can't always be the case. We should be able to share honesty with a gentleness that is appreciated and not like an attack. You should feel your friends truly have your back and will be straightforward in a way that helps you instead of hurts you.
- Respectful - A respectful friend is not only respectful to your face but just as much so behind your back.
- Dependable - We all get busy with our families and life in general. A true friend makes their friends a priority. I would hate for one of my friends to ever feel I was not dependable. Doesn't it feel good when someone has made you a priority? And, doesn't it cut pretty deep when a friend doesn't follow through or chooses someone or something else before you? Sure it does.
- Supportive - I could write a lot on this one. Why is it that a lot of women can't be happy when someone has more than them or has more success or more (fill in the blank).... I'll tell you why. It's jealousy that runs deep. When women are insecure it's hard for them to be truly happy for other women, If you have a friend who is supportive, you have a great treasure. Nourish that friendship daily. Being supportive doesn't just mean during the good times - it means being supportive ALL THE TIME. Remember, it is better to give than to receive. If you are giving in hopes of getting something in return then you aren't really giving freely - you're giving with conditions. Support your friends and truly be happy for them. If you can't do that, let them go. They don't need that kind of friendship.
- Love - This, you would think, would be a given. However, I've learned over the years it is not necessarily so. Have you ever had a friend tell you to your face they love you and yet you know deep in your heart it just isn't so? Their actions don't line up with what they are saying? I hope you've not experienced that, but it's highly likely you have or will at some point. Ladies, show LOVE to your friends. Find what their love language is (just like in marriage) and show them love. If your friend's spirit is lifted by getting a card in the mail, mail them a card. If they feel loved when you make a special date with them to go shopping, go shopping. If they are your friend, surely you know what would truly make them feel loved. Step out of your comfort zone and show them and tell them they are important and appreciated.
What else would you add? What do you find important in a good friend? My hope is that after reading this you will reflect on what kind of friend you are - or maybe you just need to use this as a guideline for what to look for in potential friends. May you be blessed with the treasure that true friendships bring.